Last month, I became a member of the wine club at Woodrose Winery in Stonewall, Texas.
I joined for a few reasons:
- I like the variety of wines they offer.
- I can’t get their wines at the local Spec’s or HEB.
- I get up to a 20% discount on wine and merchandise.
- Membership is fee-free, except for the quarterly obligatory purchase of 3 bottles.
Those reasons are good on their own. But there was one other reason, one of the main reasons. I decided to join their wine club for their pickup parties, with wine and food pairings, and the other social events that they offer exclusively to members. I thought that it might be a unique way to meet new people.
All of this for the price of 12 bottles of wine per year. Not a bad deal, really.
Today was my first pickup party. Basically, the pickup party is the alternative to having the wine shipped directly to me. But if I had the wine conveniently shipped to me I would have missed a few things that really made my day today:
- The crystal clear Texas-spring day made the hour long drive enjoyable and relaxing, particularly because I was able to put the sunroof back.
- The spot at the corner of the patio overlooking the vineyards and feeling the breeze, where I could watch the other members and wine tasters doing their thing.
- The wine and food pairing that Mike, the proprietor, put together to showcase the taste of the wines that I was about to purchase.
- The family-like atmosphere of down home Texas hospitality.
Can you see how my afternoon was practically perfect? The only way it could have been more perfect would be if I could have enjoyed the moments there with a friend or significant “other” instead of by myself.
Maybe next time I’ll bring my dog.
Below are two of the three wine and food pairings that Mike showcased. I am not a wine connoisseur by any means. But I do know what tastes good and what does not. Mike’s culinary skills allowed him to create dishes that truly brought out the best taste in the food AND the wine. Yum! Can’t wait until the next party!
© 2010-2013 Kimberly Yoss. All rights reserved. No part of this online publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without the prior approval from Kimberly Yoss.